Common statements I hear:
- Vaccines have saved untold millions of people.
- Infectious DISEASES (they're not just childhood illnesses anymore) are deadly, untreatable, and rampant.
- The ingredients are in such small amounts they can't possibly be harmful.
- The FDA, CDC, etc.. are there to protect us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~That's fine...it truly is a personal choice to vaccinate, and I respect your decision to vaccinate just as I hope you respect mine to decline them. My own research has debunked many of the long-held and unchallenged beliefs concerning vaccinations. Vaccinating my children would demand all suspension of my critical thinking and common sense. Here are 6 points you would have to convince me of before I'd ever consider resuming vaccinations.
In order to for me to vaccinate my children, I would have to:
1. Believe that vaccines are 100% effective, yet the CDC acknowledges they are not. Far from it.
-- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep;53(18):389-92-- 2004- 5-14
In Michigan in 2003 there was a chicken pox outbreak. Vaccination was verified for 485 students, resulting in a vaccination coverage of 95.7% (485 out of 507).
According to the CDC in 1999, rotavirus was causing 20 to 40 infant deaths annually in the US when the first rotavirus vaccine, RotaShield, was introduced. It was estimated that about 50,000 hospitalizations occurred in the US because of severe diarrhea and dehydration. Today, even though almost all US infants receive vaccines for rotavirus, and despite efforts to improve the management of childhood rotavirus-associated diarrhea, hospitalizations of children in the U.S. with the disease have not significantly declined in the past two decades: the CDC says rotavirus infection is still responsible for an estimated 400,000 doctor visits; more than 200,000 emergency room visits; and 55,000 to 70,000 hospitalizations in the US.
A case-control study has shown that 41 percent of meningitis occurred in children vaccinated against the disease. The vaccine's protective efficacy was minus 58 percent. This means that children are much more likely to get the disease if they are vaccinated. ~ JAMA, 1988, Osterholm et al., 260: 1423-1428
2. Believe vaccines do not contribute to the spread of these illnesses, yet the CDC acknowledges that they do.
Vaccinated adolescents and adults may serve as reservoirs for silent infection and become potential transmitters to unprotected infants (3-11). The whole-cell vaccine for pertussis is protective only against clinical disease, not against infection (15-17). Therefore, even young, recently vaccinated children may serve as reservoirs and potential transmitters of infection.
3. Believe that vaccines are 100% safe and do not cause encephalopathy and other complications, yet the US Vaccine Injury Compensation Court has paid out over $2 BILLION to families with vaccine-injured children.
“The Committee has set forth Comment K in this bill because it intends that the principle in CommentK regarding ‘unavoidably unsafe’ products, i.e., those products which in the present state of human skill and knowledge cannot be made safe, apply to the vaccines..." ~ http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-152.pdf
-- Vaccines can cause death in Immunocompromised Individuals
"The administration of vaccines presents a problem in children with immune defects...No live virus vaccines should be given since there is a risk of causing disseminated infection that may be fatal. Even with killed virus vaccines, the patient will not make antibodies in response to the injection."
Essential Pediatric Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology ~ Raoul L. Wolf, pp. 159
4. Believe that vaccines are produced for the improvement of our health, yet the manufacturers are SO concerned about our health, that they include this disclaimer on every vaccine package insert, "_________ has not been evaluated for its carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or its potential to impair fertility." http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm101580.pdf (page 6/13)
They also use pesticides, components of antifreeze, excitotoxins, known endocrine disruptors, and formaldehyde - why? If our children drank these components, we would call poison control. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-1.pdf
5. Believe that these infectious illnesses - each and every one for which there is a vaccine - are highly contagious, deadly unless vaccinated against, with no effective natural remedies, and that permanent immunity is inferior to vaccine-induced inflammatory responses. If that were the case, the human race wouldn't have made it this far. You and I would not be here because previous generations would have died out. Knowledge is power.
A chance my child could have serious convulsions after the DTaP vaccine? 1 in 1750: American Academy of Pediatrics. Pertussis. In: Peter G, editor. 1997 Red book: report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 24th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 1997. p. 394-407.
A chance my child could die from pertussis? .00011%. http://www.exemptmychild.com/56401/56690.html
6. Believe that pharmaceutical companies, the CDC and the FDA truly have our best interests at heart.
i. Congress's 1986 Vaccine Injury Act removed parents' right to sue in state/federal court, protecting vaccine manufacturers from liability, and created a special vaccine court that could accept/reject claims at its leisure http://www.nvic.org/injury-compensation/origihanlaw.aspx
ii. BRUESEWITZ v. WYETH - US Supreme Court decision upholding the 1986 "unavoidably unsafe" language. Parents do not have the right to sue a vaccine manufacturer - even if catastrophic side effects result from their unsafe products. http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-152.pdf
iii. Johnson & Johnson “cozy” relationship with FDA http://www.seattlepi.com/health/1500ap_us_jj_recalls_congress.html
iv. Avandia and the FDA http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/06/health/06fda.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1181134287-GoZ27pFnLfDZW+O8Vgbu
v. Vioxx and FDA http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/8625
vi. Bayer and Factor 8 - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/22/health/main555154.shtml
vii. Menaflex Knee Implant Approval (admitted undue influence from Congress)- http://documents.nytimes.com/f-d-a-review-of-the-regen-menaflex-device#p=1
viii. FDA/CDC cover up actual swine flu numbers http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/11/24/Superstar-CBS-Reporter-Blows-the-Lid-Off-th
ix. The FDA approves a non-existent product from a fictitious company http://gaia-health.com/articles351/000378-system-sting.shtml
Also seen on:
The Family Balancing Act
Insignificant At Best (FABULOUS blog!)